Πέμπτη 15 Δεκεμβρίου 2016

When Santa came to stay, Timothy Knapman





When we got this book, my kids were so excited that we had to start reading it on our way back home. Fortunately it was my husband at the wheel.
So the story begins with Santa knocking on a door, telling the family who lived in that house that he needs to stay over for a couple of days since his house is destroyed.




Great news right? My son got so excited that he started wishing for something terrible to happen to Santa's house this Christmas too, so we could have him over. I know... not the nicest thing to wish, but in his 4 years old brain it was fascinating! Who wouldn't want Santa to stay over at his house? This makes the tree and the rest of the decoration seem like nothing.

Well, things are not as simple as that though.... because Santa is not alone. He brings along all his friends: the naughty elves and the never standing still reindeers. And of course the house becomes a mess. Will Santa save this family's Christmas on time?

Τhis is a beautifully story written in rhyme in such a way that it is easy for children of 3 years old and beyond to follow. Usually in order to use rhyme one has to change the syntax of the phrase or even use difficult words. But this is not the case for this book.
The pictures are beautiful and funny, with clear lines and shapes and bright colors!


Timothy Chapman

We were so excited when we talked to the writer. My kids had a lot of questions for him and we managed to choose some of them. Mr. Knapman was more than happy to answer them.

He said to us:

"...Indeed I wish that Santa would come and stay at my house when I was little, but I didn't think about the mess he and his elves and reindeer would make - I think that's the sort of thing only grown-ups worry about.
... The craziest thing I ever asked Santa for was a space and time machine that is bigger on the inside than on the outside and is called a TARDIS.  That was because I was a big fan of the TV show Doctor Who, and Doctor Who had a TARDIS and I wanted to share his adventures.  So far, I haven't got one, but I put it on my list to Santa every year just in case.  Maybe this Christmas, he'll finally bring it!
...
I have a number of favourite Christmas things that I do every year.  I always read a book called A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, because that is the best story about Christmas ever written I think.  I always go to a carol concert so that I can sing all the carols that I loved when I was a boy.  And I always like going for a walk on Christmas Day because there's no one around (everyone is inside having a big long meal) and I feel like I have the world to myself for a few moments.... I haven't visited Crete, I'm sorry to say, but I did study Ancient Greek at school and your country and its history and mythology have always fascinated me.  Talking of Crete, I even wrote my own version of the Minotaur story in a book called Mythical Beasts and Fabulous Monsters.  When you're next at Knossos, please give my regards to King Minos!"

He is such a warm and kind person, and we thank him so much for his time!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου